The Alaska SeaLife Center, a non-profit organization dedicated to marine research, rehabilitation, conservation, and public education is seeking applications for the following:
Seasonal Research Technicians
These positions are responsible for assisting with the Chiswell Island Remote Monitoring Project at the Alaska SeaLife Center.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
1. Assists with remote monitoring of Steller sea lions by operating field cameras from an office setting.
2. Conducts behavioral observations and performs photo-identification of pinnipeds through remote video equipment or,when needed, in the field.
3. Collects data as required.
4. Ensure the appropriate record keeping is maintained and performs database management. 5. Assists with data entry and analysis as requested.
6. Assists with other research projects conducted at the Alaska SeaLife Center as requested.
7. Assists with studies in the field as assigned which may require extended stays in remote locations with few basic amenities.
Requirements: Bachelor's degree in biology, marine biology, zoology, or related field with two years experience in a similar position preferred. Experience in biological field studies, scientific writing, remote monitoring equipment, and photo identification of marine mammals preferred. Ability to communicate effectively with people of all levels, be organized, self-motivated and posses a strong desire to see the completion of projects. Computer skills including MS Excel, Word, Access and Observer Pro. Knowledge of basic research methods, data collection techniques as well as knowledge of and ability to operate cameras and other video recording equipment. These are seasonal, full-time positions.
Start Date: May 15, 2008
End Date: August 15, 2008 & August 29, 2008
Apply by: February 29, 2008
Send resume & application
to Human Resources,
P. O. Box 1329,
or fax 907-224-6320,
or email to HR@alaskasealife.org
The ASLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.