SMRU Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of the University of St Andrews that provides cutting edge scientific advice to industry and government. Working closely with the University of St Andrews, in particular the Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU) and the Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling (CREEM), SMRU Ltd undertakes a wide variety of research contracts that build on the expertise within the respective organisations. Areas of work we are currently involved in include advising on potential impacts of marine renewable energy projects; providing guidance on marine mammal populations; assessing how wider commercial activities within the marine environment may affect marine organisms and developing tools through which users can access high quality marine environmental data.
SMRU Ltd is at an exciting stage in our development and we are now looking for a motivated, experienced individual to apply for this new post to join and augment our existing team of scientists based in St Andrews.
The successful applicant will take up a key position in an interesting and dynamic environment and be meticulous in their approach to work undertaking a range of duties. You will provide scientific advice and have responsibility for leading a range of research projects and will also be expected to give input to the writing of tenders, producing scientific reports and liaising with Government agencies, Industry and NGO's. Much of the work specialises in marine mammal visual and acoustic monitoring survey techniques and the successful candidate would be expected to be familiar with the appropriate field techniques both in theory and in practice.
- Educated to PhD level in applied marine science with relevant research or proven marketplace experience
- Experience of planning and running large scale surveys for marine mammals
- Experience of survey techniques (visual and acoustic monitoring including PAM techniques) for studying marine mammals
- Experience/knowledge of spatial modelling techniques for analysing marine mammal data
- Knowledge of primary scientific literature and proven, peer reviewed publication record
- Proven ability to lead projects and work successfully within a small team and liaise with non-academic groups
- A background knowledge of the marine renewable industry would be beneficial
- Experience of working on Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) and knowledge of the environmental legislation in the UK
- Competent in statistical data analysis and management and knowledge of the ESRI ArcGIS software would be advantageous
SMRU Ltd offers a competitive salary and is expected to be in the region of ?30,000 - 35,000 p.a., dependent on qualifications and experience.
To Apply If you believe you have the passion, commitment and skills then tell us why. Please apply in writing, preferably by email, by sending your CV, together with a covering letter outlining your suitability, to email@example.com or by post to
SMRU Limited, New Technology Centre,
Fife KY16 9SR.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 27th MARCH 2009
SMRU Limited New Technology Centre
Fife KY16 9SR
Switch: +44 (0)1334 479100
Fax: +44 (0)1334 477878