SEEKING RESEARCH ASSISTANTS BACKGROUND
Faxaflói Bay is a bay facing Reykjavík city where daily tours are arranged to spot feeding minke whales, white-beaked dolphins, humpback whales and harbour porpoises. Reykjavik Whale-watching Company is running whale-watching trips since 1998, with special interest in all whales visiting the bay. The company is member of Green Globe 21 and tries to fulfil environmental standards as well as certain whale-watching guidelines. Since 2007, the Company started as well a Research project aiming to:
- recognize individually minke whales and white-beaked dolphins photographed
- investigate the distribution of minke whales and dolphins in association with underlying environmental variables
- study the breathing patterns
- analyse the feeding behaviour of minke whales and data collected on associated bird species
- analyse the relation between the presence of whales,environmental variables and boat traffic
Research will begin on the last week of April and will extend to the end of August 2008. I am seeking one research assistant for June-July and another one for July and August for assist with the collection of behavioural data on minke whales and white-beaked dolphins in Faxaflói Bay,Reykjavík, Iceland. Because of the training required, applicants must be willing to commit to the project a minimum of two months. Applicants willing to participate for the whole working period will be given preference.
Two whale-watching motor vessels will be used as research platform: Elding and Hafsúlan each approx 30 m long. The project will cover accommodation and lunch during the working hours. Living space is located on a former fishing boat in the old harbour,with 1 double and 3 single rooms, bathroom, kitchen, living room and internet access (25 square metres); 10 min walking distance to the city centre.
Volunteers will have to cover all travel and personal expenses on their own.
Applicants should be ready to work long hours(08:00 to 16.00 or to 20.00 hours depending on weather conditions) and be expected to participate in the following duties:
- collect behavioural data on cetacean sightings
- data entry for cetacean sightings
- photo-identification work/fin matching
*have a strong background in Marine biology-Oceanography, with knowledge and experience of marine mammal behaviour and/or seabirds
*have previous field experience, photo-identification skills and ability to stand long working days, sometimes in rough seaconditions
*be computer literate with a working knowledge PC operating system and proficiency with MS Word and MS Excel. Familiarity with software including MS Access and Photoshop is very helpful. Possibility to bring your own Laptop is much preferred
*be enthusiastic, hard-working, team oriented, able to share small living space on board
*be adaptable, flexible and patient as fieldwork is highly weather dependent
*have good English language skills
*bring your own digital camera, binoculars and GPS (usefulbut not a pre-requisite)
If interested or got queries, please contact me sending:
- CV or resume (please include also dietary choice for planning purposes: i.e. carnivore, vegetarian, vegan, etc.)
- details of your availability
- contact details of two referees
- a brief description of yourself including your interest in marine mammals and what you hope to gain from this .C
Marine biologist/Project leader c/o Reykjavík
Ægisgardur 7 101
Phone:+39/340/6933102( Italian mobile phone)
+354/8241072 (Icelandic mobile phone)
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.