ASSOCIATE RESEARCH SCIENTISTFLORIDA FISH AND WILDLIFE CONSERVATION COMMISSIONFISH AND WILDLIFE RESEARCH INSTITUTE
Position Number: 770071759
Closing Date: 07/11/08
Location: SAINT PETERSBURG
County: Pinellas County
Annual Salary : $51,045.54
Announcement Type: Open Competitive Position
The Fish & Wildlife Research Institute (FWRI) is seeking candidates for the position of Associate Research Scientist.
Job duties include:
- Integrates GIS methods and analytical techniques with spatial databases resulting in applications and spatially explicit models and analyses of marine mammals including North Atlantic right whales and Florida manatees primarily to provide information to natural resource managers.
- Works to develop models of marine mammal movements, distributions, risk assessments, and effectiveness of proposed management strategies using empirical data on spatial distribution, habitat variables, and vessel traffic patterns.
- Provides statistical inference from existing spatial databases, and assists in the development of efficient sampling designs for the collection of future data.
- Prepares written reports regarding interpretation and analysis of GIS and biological data for manatees and right whales.
- Publishes data in refereed journals or peer-reviewed books and proceedings.
- Reviews and evaluates reports, proposals, and manuscripts pertaining to marine mammals.
- Participates in editorial review of scientific manuscripts written by other researchers.
- Works as a member of dynamic section teams as an analytical consultant.
-Consults with and advisesgovernment agencies in evaluation of manatee and right whale biological data collected by FWC and other agencies.
- Provides guidance to the FWC Imperiled Species Management on interpreting and using marine mammal data.
- Seeks extramural funding.
A master's degree and 4 yrs. of professional experience as described above; or a doctorate with 2 years of experience. Candidates with PhD may be given preference.
Knowledge of research principles and techniques for wildlife and habitats, Knowledge of marine mammals and wildlife biology. Ability to collect and manage data; plan, organize, and coordinate work assignments; communicate effectively verbally and in writing; a demonstrated ability to supervise assigned personnel in a coaching and mentoring manner and to establish and maintain effective working relationships, and to work in excess of 40 hours per week if needed. Skill in use of ArcGIS including programming (such as Python or other scripting languages) and experience with ArcGIS Model builder,statistical software, and database management.
This position is a State of Florida Full Time Employee (FTE) position which provides a full benefit package.
THE STATE OF FLORIDA IS AN EEO/AA EMPLOYER. PURSUANT TO CHAPTER 295FLORIDA STATUTES VETERANS AND SPOUSES OF VETERANS MAY RECEIVEPREFERENCE IN EMPLOYMENT AND ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. APPLY ON-LINE at: https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/